Mike and Caroline Miller
Serving in Greece
According to mission research websites like Joshua Project and Operation World, Greece has a population of about 10.5 million people with about half of one percent considered to be evangelical believers. To put this in perspective, Iran has about the same percentage of evangelical believers. Planting churches is one way to be an effective, long-term, evangelistic presence in Greece.
Mike and Caroline partner with and support the church planting initiatives of the Greek Evangelical Church in Athens. They moved from Charleston, SC to Athens in 2018 and are involved in all aspects of church planting in the Athens area. They also have developed a weekly ministry to area college students.
The Pangrati Project
A suburb near the Athens city center, Pangrati has a population of about 80k people. There are zero evangelical churches in this community. And, since church planting has proven to be the single most effective strategy for a long term presence in a community, the Pangrati church plant was officially launched last November. This is the main church plant with whom the Millers partner. The Pangrati Project, a team which the Millers coordinate, is continuing to host community events for the purpose of serving the community and meeting new people. The church is beginning to see a few people from the community attend church services and show an earnest desire to know about the Gospel. Ilias, a deaf, Greek, new believer, is now attending the Greek Bible college and the church has a growing ministry to deaf people.
We are grateful for the ministries that God has given us here in Athens and for the people we have the honor of working alongside.
We are thankful for you, our faithful support team who continue to bless us with your prayers and financial support.
PRAY FOR THE MILLERS
1. Pray for us as we will be heading to the States in July for our 6-8 month home ministry assignment, and there are so many things to do to prepare for this. We will be leaving our current apartment, and when we go back to Athens we will be looking for a furnished, smaller apartment close to the Pangrati church. This means that we have to sell our furniture and pack everything up by the end of June. Please pray that we will be able to sell everything that we need to sell at the right time. Pray for wisdom as we make a million decisions during this process. Pray for the stress levels during this time.
2. Pray for our upcoming home ministry assignment to be productive and a blessing to all those we can visit and share about what God is doing in Athens.
3. Pray for our children–for our daughter, Ella as she goes through the process of choosing where to go to college. And for our sons, Silas and Jared--pray for them spiritually and professionally as they are young adults figuring out their way in the world.
4. Pray for open hearts in those whom we meet and for wisdom as we share in an Eastern Orthodox culture.
PRAY FOR THE PANGRATI CHURCH PLANT
1. Pray for the Pangrati church. There is an opportunity to purchase a space for the growing church; however, God will need to provide about 250,000 euros within the year.
2. Pray for the Pangrati Church to have at least 12 people committed to the church to be the first founding members by the summer.
3. Pray for Emmanuel, the church planter in Pangrati and his wife, Bethany.
4. Pray for the Pangrati Project where we have work/study space, a community library, game night, kids's activities, etc-–this is the way we are making relationships in the community.
5. Several church teams will begin to arrive this spring to minister and help our church plant in Pangrati as well as other Athens area ministries. Pray for changed lives for them and for those whom they meet. And pray for us as team coordinators for these teams.
6. Pray for the Greek Evangelical churches here in Greece—of the 34 churches in Greece, over half have no pastor with about ten members. The pastors we do have are stretched thin to try to minister to these congregations on a rotating basis.
7. "Adopt a MK" program has been launched to connect MKs in Asia with US adults that were formerly MKs and professional youth workers in the US - pray for much needed discipleship as the MKs meet with these partners virtually starting this month.